I engage in a lot of hobbies and activities that keep me balanced (and a little busy!):
- I have played Balinese gamelan for more than a decade, own a set of angklung instruments, and am working to start a new ensemble here at UNL.
- I danced Argentine tango for many years, and I used to assist with lessons for the (now inactive) student UNL Tango Club.
- For fitness (and fun!), I climb walls several days a week at the UNL Outdoor Adventure Center. I can sometimes be enticed into joining a student team to compete in the annual League of Extraordinary Boulderers bouldering competition. I'm not very good, but I enjoy it anyway!
- My partner and I keep a happy menagerie of household pets (dogs, cats, fish, and birds!). I also have a little therapy dog, previously certified with Therapy Dogs International and Healing Heart Therapy Dogs and now retired.
- I love gardening and working on landscaping and design projects around our house in Lincoln. Recently I built a little greenhouse, where I am attempting to grow small citrus trees. I also planted some apple trees, currant bushes, and wildflower meadow areas in my yard.
- I always try to go hiking and camping a few times per year!
- I make a mean macaroni and cheese casserole.
- I enjoy making things: I have knitted and crocheted for 20+ years, and have tried my hand at jewelry design, papercrafts, print making, a bit of sewing, and lace thread crochet. I have refinished hardwood floors, salvaged and installed wrought iron fences, created my own rain-gardens, and designed and built retaining walls. And I built a freestanding, permanent greenhouse.